21st January , 2020 , Hits: 1487
Kampala, 21st January 2020 – The Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) has intensified mandatory standards enforcement in bakeries.
In the ongoing operations, UNBS sealed off bakery mixers of Mega Standard Supermarket (Burton Street), Capital Shoppers Supermaket (Ntinda and Nakawa branches), Tuskys supermarket (Ntinda and Nansana branches), S&S Supermarket at Nkumba Close, Outlet bakery at Freedom City,
Kaduwa supplies, Kasampa bakery at Bugwere market, Tumwebaze bakery at Indian headquarters and Golden bakery in Mbale,
Sofrah bakery in Arua, Vision Bakery in Kiboga, Masindi Masters Bakers and Homeland bakery in Masindi for not complying with standards.
This comes after a sensitization meeting held with supermarket owners on 30th October 2019, where the standards body cautioned supermarket owners against selling uncertified products.
The supermarket owners were urged to;
• Ensure good hygiene of their supermarket premises most especially the fridges that store meat
• Ensure that expired products are off the shelf and avoid mixing expired products with non-expired products
• Ensure that food stuffs are not mixed with soaps or perfumes when displaying products on shelves
• Deal in ONLY certified products
• Have quality personnel at their supermarkets and UNBS will train them at no cost
Routine inspections of all products covered under the mandatory standards are ongoing across the country and all those found working contrary to the UNBS Distinctive mark regulation, 2018 and hygiene standards will be held liable.
The Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) is a statutory body responsible for developing and promoting standards, quality products and services to facilitate fair trade, promote local industries and protect consumers.
For more information, please contact:
Victoria Namutebi Wamala
Public Relations Officer
Uganda National Bureau of Standards
Plot 2 - 12, By-Pass Link, Bweyogerere Industrial Park,
P.O Box 6329 Kampala, Uganda